Working is simply part of life, and no matter which way you slice it, we all have to put in the time to make our dreams and goals a reality. A lot of people bemoan the traditional 9-to-5 office culture of sitting at a desk or cube, which can leave you feeling unproductive (and despondent) by the end of a week being glued to a chair, and chained to a desk. But this doesn’t have to be the case, and there are ways to navigate through a work day, week, or month without loosing your mind.
I worked in an office environment (and a very traditional one at that) for nearly four years. Yes, there were days when I felt like rolling out the chair underneath me,
smashing it replacing it with a bouncy ball, blasting salsa music, and fixing myself a cocktail, but that was (usually) not an option. As you grow accustomed to working in an environment that is stricter in terms of personal freedoms and the ability to do whatever you want, when you want, you learn tricks to make it through a work day with flying colors. While I would say that the ability to make the most of any work day is largely due to a shift in mental state, one that skews morepositive than negative (which IMO helps you tackle challenges head on), there are actual steps you can take to help you achieve this mentality. Below are 10 tips to help you get through a day at a desk job. While these tips might not work for everyone (as we all have our own working styles), I found them to be extremely helpful when I had to sit at an office each day.
Below are some resources to find engaging and entertaining podcasts or an audiobook to listen to at work. I always had them on at the office (albeit, low) or a chill playlist going, which would help me relax:
- 25 Of The Best Podcasts To Listen To At Work
- The Best Podcasts For A Slow Day At Work
- 51 Smart Podcasts That Will Make Your Commute To Work Better
- 7 Podcasts You Should Be Listening To For Working Awesomely
- 6 Podcasts You May Not Have Heard Of But Should Be Listening To
Also, for AMAZING set-it-and-forget-it playlists for every mood, I always use Songza. It provides you playlist based on a number of personalized click-through selections. Below are some additional links to finding great ones:
- 25 Most Popular Spotify Playlists
- 25 Freaking Rad Spotify Playlists For Every Mood
- 50 Songs (And Albums) To Listen To At Work
- Best Pandora (Or Spotify) Stations For Great Music While You Work
- Ultimate Music Collection For Getting Things Done
Finally, getting the right desk lamp is important for your eyes and for you workflow. Here are some tips to finding the right one:
- How To Find The Best Desk Lamp For You
- How To Choose A Desk Lamp
- Desk Lamp Buyer’s Guide
- Expert Advice On Selecting A Good Reading Light
- How Lighting Can Improve Your Mood
We can get through a day working at a desk job! With a little bit of preparation and a few mental tricks/breaks, it’s possible for anyone to master the art of working at a desk for long stretches of time.