10 Things You Need To Read This Sunday
1. I loved this story on how to tell if you’re with the right person for the long run, and how early-days uncertainty aren’t always as telling as we’d think.
2. This was a really moving interview with Steve Carell and Timothee Chalamet about the emotional inspiration behind making their upcoming movie Beautiful Boy.
3. I cannot recommend reading this piece enough — on the complicated feelings of growing up as a Korean child adopted by white parents.
4. Very grateful for Connie Chung’s strength and bravery in coming out as a survivor in her letter to Dr. Blasey-Ford. <3
5. If you’ve never gone to one of those Instagram-friendly pop-up “museums,” don’t — but do read this piece about them!
6. I loved A Star Is Born, but I also loved this review by someone who definitely didn’t love it.
7. “Our weird cultural commitment to the gender binary goes way beyond actual living men and women — if it didn’t, people wouldn’t freak out so badly when someone declines to choose. Masculinity and femininity are concepts we layer on top of everything from people to pens to political parties. Sometimes there’s a middle ground, but often we seem lost without our familiar patterns; it’s the confused hetero doofus asking a gay couple “which one’s the woman,” except for the entire world. Take any opposed things — Democrats and Republicans, cats and dogs, even the sun and the moon — and you’ll find one of them associated with physical strength, action, and domineering behavior, and the other associated with emotion, reticence, and calm. That’s not just descriptive; it’s prescriptive, and proscriptive too. If we could judge the moon for yelling, we would.” Gender norms are real, pervasive, dangerous, and political — be sure to read this.
8. If you need a break from “heavy” reading, this ranking of the hardest-to-clean kitchen tools is a delight!
9. They’re supposedly coming out with a “Most Stuf” Oreo and tbh I don’t feel great about it.
10. ICYMI: Check out this piece on how designer “investment pieces” might end up costing more than you think!