10 Things You Need To Read This Sunday
1. A lot is going on in the news right now, but I hope everyone takes the time to read this:
“The Covington students are not likely to have their summary executions by police officers justified; they will not be separated from their parents for the crime of seeking asylum; they are not disproportionately more likely to be charged as adults for crimes they committed as children; they are not likely to be stalked in the night and murdered by grown men who become folk heroes for acting out the violent, racist fantasies of others. The president’s campaign merchandise remains a favorite of white-supremacist groups, and his name remains a racist taunt for those seeking to antagonize people of color of any age. None of this has changed, and the disgraceful overreaction of some liberals does not change it. If the right extended the sympathy the Covington students are now receiving to children who don’t remind them of their own, this would be a more just society.”
2. This is a very well-reasoned opinion piece on Alexandria Ocasio-Cortez’s proposed marginal tax increase.
3. I’m so glad this piece on Bryan Singer’s accusers (a disturbingly long list) was written.
4. In optimistic news, New York’s Reproductive Health Act gives me a little bit of hope for the future of women and others in my home state.
5. Hagfish slime is apparently GROSS and beyond fascinating.
6. Mary Oliver was an incredible voice, and in honor of her passing, I loved reading about how her poetry found new life in Instagram graphics.
7. If you have a health savings account but don’t really know what to do with it, definitely read this.
8. Yes, it is time to make it impossible for racists to live public lives.
9. Honestly, this week sucks on many levels, so let’s all enjoy this raccoon.
10. ICYMI: Read about what this contributor spent and saved last year on a $37,000 salary.